Some years ago a recipe ran across my radar, not just because of the name, but also because it combined three things I love – Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oreo Cookies, and Brownies. Yes, the triple-threat, the Slutty Brownie, or as some of my friends call them, Dirty Boy Brownies.
The premise is amazingly simple; grease an 8″ by 8″ pan, line it with foil and grease it again. On the bottom layer, you have chocolate chip cookie dough (I cheat and use a bag mix for this layer.) The next layer is 16 perfect Oreo cookies, laid flat. The top layer is a brownie mix, and again I cheat and use a bag mix for the brownies. Pour the prepared brownie mix over the Oreos, set this in an oven preheated to 350° for 30 to 40 minutes. Then, the test of your will begins, because you have to let them sit for an hour or they are very difficult to cut cleanly.
The recipe says it makes 16. If you are in my house, you know this recipe, in reality, makes 4 to 8 servings, because no one just takes ONE. They are fabulous served with a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream, but really why would you need that when all you need is a big honking glass of milk?
If you’ve been following along for a bit, you know I just can’t leave well enough alone.
Why Slutty Brownies? What about the Blondes? Or the Gingers? Oreo has plenty of different flavors out there – why not a Slutty Nutty? (Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie base, Peanut Butter Flavored Oreos, and a Brownie with a Peanut butter swirl)
I think I came up with 15 variations before my husband made me stop. I didn’t write most of them down, and I haven’t made them all, so some of these are theoretical.
So here are my Variations on a Theme for Slutty Brownies/Dirty Boys
- Slutty Blondies – Butterscotch Chip Cookie base, Reverse Oreos (if your Blonde is not real) or Vanilla Sandwich Cookies (true Blonde) and a Blondie top layer (which is, essentially, a Brownie without cocoa)
- Slutty Gingers – Gingerbread cookie base, Newman’s Ginger-O’s, candied Ginger chunks, and a gingerbread top layer.
- Slutty Irish – Chocolate-Chocolate Chip cookie base, Mint filled Oreos, Brownie top.
- Slutty Nutty – Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookie (or chocolate cookie with peanut butter chips) Peanut Butter filled Oreos and a brownie top with a peanut butter swirl.
- California Sunshine – Lemon -White Chocolate chip cookie base, lemon sandwich cookies, Blondie top with white chocolate chips (and lemon extract instead of vanilla)
- Southern Charm – Pecan Shortbread base, Red Velvet Oreos, and Red Velvet brownies with a cream cheese swirl.
- New England Slutty Brownies – Chocolate Chip Base, Maple creme cookie center, Blondie top with maple sugar and walnuts.
- Gramma’s Slutty too – Oatmeal Raisin Base, vanilla sandwich cookies, and a blondie top.
I played around with other ideas, such as using jams or hot fudge or caramel sauce in between the layers, and I’ve totally seen the caramel sauce recipe elsewhere (even sluttier brownies!) but I was really going for the three layers with the sandwich cookie in the middle.
Oreo has come out with a lot of new flavors since I found this recipe – including Birthday Cake and now Cinnamon Red Hots – so you could conceivably make a Mexican Hot Chocolate version using, oh, I guess chocolate-cinnamon chip cookies, the red hots Oreos, and brownies – but the point isn’t to overwhelm you with spice, it’s to get a blend that works well.
I will share a link to the original slutty brownies recipe I based all these off of.